By Althea Press (no author listed)
- Almond – great for massage oils, sweet smelling
- Aloe vera oil – good for burns or wounds
- Avocado oil – good to hair and skin, heavy texture
- Grape seed oil – great for massage or general aromatherapy
- Hazelnut oil – all around aromatherapy use and massage oil for people with oily skin (astringent)
- Jojoba oil – thick and waxy feel, great for massage or moisture, indefinite shelf life, great for acne-prone skin, but shiny oil.
- Sesame oil – great for massage
- Walnut oil – skin conditions
Avoid these oils if:
- Ho Leaf
- Star anise
- Clary Sage
- German chamomile
- Roman chamomile
- Clary sage
- German chamomile
- Ormensis flower
- Roman chamomile
Avoid all if hypertensive or suffering cardiac disease
- Diffusion – Cold air diffuser. Good for creating an atmosphere while also benefiting you with its benefits
- Direct inhalation – Couple drops in palm of hand, rub together, cup over nose and mouth and breathe deeply. Relax for three minutes, then continue on with your day. Allows you to experience effects almost immediately.
- Hot water vapors – good for respiratory stuff. Pour hot water into a bowl with oils, and drape a towel over your head, shoulders, and bowl.
- Accupressure – applied to certain areas of the body. Not just properties, you’ll benefit from specific application.
- Bath – 3-6 drops while water runs. Easily penetrate skin and inhale as well.
- Compresses – pint of water + 4-5 drops of oil, and a small towel. Mix, allow fabric to absorb, then wring out and apply. Hot is good for pain. Cold is good for soothing.
- Direct application – Good for pain relief or antibacterial property required.
- Massage – 12-15 drops in carrier oil. Relaxes and absorbs.
Acid reflux – 2 T carrier oil, 4 drops eucalyptus oil, 4 drops fennel oil, 2 drops peppermint oil; rub abdominal area.
Acne – 1 T honey, 1 T plain yogurt, 1 T facial spa clay, 4 drops geranium oil. Apply as a mask for up to one hour, every 2-3 days until improvement. OR 1/2 c aloe gel, 10 drops geranium, 10 drops lavender, 6 drops lemongrass, 6 drops tea tree – apply up to 3 times a day as needed. Makes 50 treatments.
ADD/ADHD – Lavender, chamomile
Aging skin – 2 drops cypress or frankincense, geranium, myrrh, sandalwood plus 2 drops coconut oil – apply under eyes; OR 1 oz argan oil, 30 drops geranium, 30 drops jasmine – use once a day before bedtime
Allergies– This is for a neti pot! 8 oz warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, 5 drops lavender, 5 drops lemon, 3 drops peppermint
Anxiety – Valerian for stability, marjoram for mellow
Arthritis – Bath: 30 drops fennel, 16 drops cypress, 10 drops juniper, 2 handfuls epsom salts, 1 handful dead sea or rock salt. Repeat once a day for 2 weeks. Peppermint oil.
Back pain – 1 tsp oil, 6 drops lavender, 6 drops rosemary – soak for 15 minutes. Massage: 1/2 oz carrier, 6 drops lavender, 4 drops ginger, 4 drops Roman chamomile, 4 drops rosemary, 4 drops sage, 4 drops thyme
Bee stings – 1 drop basil, 1 drop peppermint
Blister – cold compress: 3 drops lavender, 3 drops myrrh
Bloat – 6 drops carrier oil, 2 drops lemon, 2 drops peppermint, 2 drops rosemary
Brittle hair – hair masque: 1 tb jojoba oil, 6 drops geranium, 6 drops rosemary – apply to dry scalp, leave in 60 minutes, repeat 3 times a week until solved
Bug bites – tea tree: 1 to 1 ratio with carrier
Burn – lavender every 4-6 hours up to 24 hours
Canker sore – clove 3x say
Cold – vapor: 2 drops camphor; liniment: 2/1/2 oz carrier oil, 10 drops pine, 10 drops eucalyptus
Cough – diffuse lime
Depression – diffuse clary sage or jasmine, rosewood
Diaper rash – 5 TB coconut oil, 1 drop myrrh oil
Flu – diffuse eucalyptus
Hives – Basil, myrrh
Immune support – Diffuse lavender, tea tree, and thyme
Infectioni – clove, basil
Knee pain – pine massage with oil
Low energy – massage with peppermint, inhale rosemary+ peppermint, diffuse lemon + grapfruit
Menopause– diffuse clary sage
Muscle ache – thyme massage, pine/lavender bath
Nails – massage with rose oil
Nervousness – diffuse clary sage
Pain – numb pain with direct clove
Poison oak – 1 tsp carrier oil, 20 drops lavender, 10 drops myrrh
PMS– clary sage
Stress– diffuse allspice
Stretch marks / scarring – neat helichrysum (only works on new things)
Sunburn – peppermint
Swimmer’s ear– 4-5 drops tea tree or basil oil on a cotton ball in ear canal overnight
Teething – 2 T olive oil, 2 drops clove OR 2 drops olive oil, 1 drop grapefruit once an hour, diffuse lavender to promote calm
Temper tantrums –diffuse ylang ylang, add rose to a teddy bear
Tendinitis – 6 drops marjoram on hot compress or 1 T oil, 4 drops eucalyptus, 4 drops peppermint
Tension headache – peppermint temple rub
Warts – tea tree direct 3 x a day
Weight loss support – diffuse fennel