Thesis: You don’t have to pretend everything is fine, the fact that it’s not means it is fine.
Specific Things to Remember:
- Don’t underestimate what your friends, and your single life, meant to you. Honor them instead.
- Don’t buy into the idea that marriage makes you a traitor or dullard.
- Set boundaries and prune your relationships, choosing only supportive ones.
- Add to your family only for the right reasons
- Wait a little longer. Grow up a little more.
- Build a foundation for as long as it takes.
- Have fun and get funny. People stay happy with children if they intimately “get” each other and enjoy it.
- Spend time alone
- Pay attention to little things
- Make intimacy “privacy you share”
- On communication:
- Embrace his eccentricities
- Agree to disagree
- Offer advice only when asked, and criticism only gently
- Say it out loud, not just the bad but the good. By doing so, you celebrate the unique and quirky nature of your life and love.